To accurately calculate your crypto taxes, CoinTracker (or other crypto tax products) require a complete history of your crypto transactions. Even a small transaction many years ago can have large tax implications.
Periodically downloading and backing up your crypto transaction history from CoinTracker is an easy way to make sure you have access to this data.
Some reasons having a backup can be helpful:
- Switching between crypto tax software
- Losing access to your CoinTracker account
- Losing access to an exchange account (locked out, exchange shuts down, etc)
Let's get to it!
Downloading a filtered or complete transaction history from CoinTracker
You can navigate to your transactions page.
Set the filters for the transactions you wish to download (or leave them empty to download all transactions).
Download CSV or
Download CSV with filters.
Download CSVwill download a CSV with your entire transactions history.
Download CSV with filterswill download a CSV with the applied filters on your transactions page.
For example, in this screenshot clicking the
Download CSV with filters will only download the transactions for this particular wallet:
Importing a transaction history CSV generated from CoinTracker into CoinTracker
If you have downloaded a filtered or complete transaction history CSV from CoinTracker and need to import it back into CoinTracker, the transaction history CSV that you have generated is compatible for import as an imported wallet.
Users can add their transaction history CSV by:
- Navigating to Add Wallet > CSV import
- Selecting their generated CSV
- Selecting 'Import' to add the generated CSV to their account
- CoinTracker does not currently support transactions that are Type: 'Transfer' , users will see a validation error should 'Transfer' type transactions be included in the imported CSV. We recommend users remove and 'Transfer' type transactions from the CSV before attempting to re-import. See Step 4, Section 2 in our Importing transaction histories to CoinTracker via CSV article for more information how to handle 'Transfer' type transactions.
- CoinTracker does not distinguish between wallets when importing a full transaction history CSV, if the generated CSV contains various wallets and exchanges when imported the transactions will calculate as if they are all from a single wallet. CoinTracker does not divide transactions by wallet.
If you have any questions or issues, please reach out to our support team directly.