Here is some basic information that should help with entering margin trading activity manually.
- Refer to this article for general instructions on entering transactions manually.
- Read this blog post, which talks about crypto taxes for activities surrounding margin trading and will give you an understanding of how those transactions should be structured in CoinTracker.
Here are the steps you'll take in CoinTracker:
1. Enter the transactions for your trade. To tag, select "Mark as Margin".
Note: To avoid seeing negative balance errors, consider adding custom currencies to use on trades where you're shorting assets you don't own.
2. Enter a separate fiat transaction for the amount gained or lost.
- For a loss, enter the amount on the left side of the transaction. To tag, choose "Mark as Margin Loss".
- For a gain, enter the amount on the right side of the transaction. To tag, choose "Mark as Margin Gain".
Correct tagging ensures that gains and losses are included in the Net Futures Gains and Margin Fees on the tax center in Cointracker.
Your correctly entered and tagged transactions will look something like this: