Earlier this month, we launched an upgrade to our core accounting engine – one of our largest-ever product updates – to help CoinTracker scale alongside crypto adoption, innovation, and regulation.
This next generation accounting engine delivers even more accurate transaction calculations. For some users, historical calculations and tax reports on CoinTracker have changed because of these accuracy improvements.
If you want to review these latest calculations, you can compare them following the instructions below.
How to view historical tax calculations
1. The previous year(s)' tax forms were sent from CoinTracker to the account email as .pdf attachments. The title of the emails are in the following format:
Your [YYYY] Tax Form [NAME OF TAX FORM]For example:
Your 2021 Condensed Tax Form 8949
2. Download the form(s).
3. Login to your CoinTracker account and navigate to the tax center for the given year. For example, for 2020 tax forms go to https://www.cointracker.io/tax/2020
4. Download the applicable form(s) again, saving them with different names to distinguish them from the form(s) downloaded in step 2.
5. Compare the historical numbers to the updated numbers.
(Note: if you are having trouble accessing historical documents downloaded from CoinTracker, you can contact our support team to see if they can assist.)
My historical calculations have changed, what should I do?
For users whose historical calculations have changed and have questions regarding tax amendments or audits, there are publicly available resources:
- Tips on How to Amend Your Tax Return - IRS website
- Choosing a Tax Professional - IRS website
- Should I file an amended return - IRS website
- Refund Claims - IRS Website
- For other countries - How to amend previously filed tax returns
CoinTracker also encourages all users to consult with independent financial advisors with any questions.